A quick note on some of the stuff covered here at Cubs f/x since the season began. Check out the archives in the sidebar for background.
- Geovany Soto has his bat off his shoulder now, attacking pitches in the zone. He's not hitting anything very hard, but his zone judgment is sharp.
- Alfonso Soriano is starting to take a few too many strikes, while also swinging at a few more out of the zone He's still crushing the ball, but his free swinging is starting to take its toll.
- Kosuke Fukudome is still showing fantastic zone judgment and getting his share of hits. But he's not hitting the ball as hard, which may be why he's seeing a few more strikes these days.
- Milton Bradley is swinging a lot more, mostly at strikes. He's starting to square it up and smack it, too.
- Sean Marshall has not added velocity. He's losing it. Instead of maxing out around 91/92, and contrary to rumors that he would add a couple MPH this year, he has just a single pitch above 87 MPH in his last three starts. He did show good velocity in his second start of the season, topping 92 MPH while tossing 37 pitches over 87 MPH, but it's gone down since.
- Rich Harden has been inconsistent with his velocity, but he's fine. ACB has that topic covered.