The Cubs look to finish their 10 game homestand with a third straight win, but risk finishing it 5-5. Carlos Torres and the recently depleted White Sox stand between the Cubs and a six game trip to New York and Pittsburgh.
Thursday's game with be Torres' third start, and big league appearance. I have just a few notes on him:
- can take 8 mph off his curve (two bunches, 82 and 74)
- slider can run from 83 to 91
- fastball sits at 91, but can range from 88 to 95
- 79 mph change with sink
- may have a second change-up, or PITCHf/x had a brain freeze on one pitch
- and don't forget his sinker, which runs around 87
It would help if he could throw strikes
- 15 curves, 2 in the zone
- slider was his best, 56%
- overall below average, 49%
- hitters don't chase him out of the zone (14%, which is less than half of average)
You can see a little more detail on Torres' first outing at Beyond the Box Score. Flight paths can be found at the link.