Some info about Wandy Rodriguez's nasty curveball.
- It's in the 2nd tier of MLB curveballs by run value, as he's better than 1 run saved per 100 curveballs. That's similar to Sean Marshall and Chris Carpenter; a run behind Brett Anderson and Adam Wainwright at the top; a run ahead of Doug Davis and Cliff Lee; and two runs ahead of Cole Hamels and Randy Wolf at the bottom.
- Wandy throws curves on 33% of pitches. 34% vs RHH, 30% vs LHH
- 23% of Wandy's first pitches are curveballs
- After the first pitch, when ahead or even he's 49% curveball vs. RHH, 42% vs. LHH
- With a man on third, he throws it 43% - probably more if I throw away two out situations. Why? The ground ball rate against Wandy's curve is 63%, fastball 34%
And his fastballs are not bad. His last pitch, in terms of quality and usage, is a change-up.